Nasa’s shortlisted Indoor Air Purifying houseplants details are as follows:
- Heart leaf philodendron
- Elephant ear philodendron
- Red emerald philodendron
- Lacy tree philodendron
1) HEART LEAF PHILODENDRON HOUSEPLANT
- The scientific or botanical name of heart leaf philodendron is Philodendron oxycardium. It belongs to the family Araceae and native to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean.
- Heart leaf philodendron is also called as the Parlor ivy and Sweet heart vine. It is probably the most popular and common ornamental plant. This plant can be decorated in various containers to look attractive and striking, it can be used in hanging baskets or it can be grown in plant pot by fixing a supporter like moss pole. It is a workhorse for filtering all kinds of volatile organic chemicals.
- Apart from adding a desirable look to your place, it also has an ability to filter the toxins like pollutants and volatile organic chemicals which are found in our indoors. These volatile organic chemicals are the toxins which adversely pollute the indoors and you cannot avoid this level of toxins as we use all these common products in our daily life, these toxins are found in all the synthetic products we use like air fresheners, cleaning supplies, carpets, rugs and furniture. The toxins found in these synthetic materials causes indoor air pollution which leads to many hazardous issues such as “sick building syndrome” which can cause respiratory disorders and also causes certain problems like headaches, stress and fatigue.
- In order to overcome the above mentioned adverse effects, one should take a wise step and add these natural best indoor air purifying plant to your home and offices. It will give a desirable surroundings and also reward us with natural fresh air making it easy to breath. According to NASA clean air study, the parlor ivy is very effective in air purification, filtering out the chemicals like formaldehyde, benzene & carbon monoxide and also increases the oxygen rate by making the air more easy to breath.
- It is the plant which needs less care and maintenance. The light required is moderate and the best location to place this plant is part of sun exposure and part of shade so that it can live happily. It is not a thirsty plant, by checking the soil moisture one should water the plant accordingly.
- It is classified as toxic plant, keep it away from kids and pets.
2) ELEPHANT EAR PHILODENDRON
The Elephant ear philodendron is scientifically called as Philodendron domesticum or tuxla. The elephant ear philodendron is the another variety with same genus name philodendron. The name is given for its big and large striking leaves. The elephant ear philodendron is the best instrumental plant which is used as natural air purifier. This plant play a significant role in filtering the toxins, off-gases and air borne allergens by increasing and rejuvenating the air quality. Elephant ear philodendron is a very beautiful and striking house plant, it can be placed in both indoors and outdoors.
Elephant ear philodendron is highly toxic to kids and pets.
Common types of elephant ear philodendron are as follows:
Exposure: Full sun/ part shade.
Soil: medium to wet, organically rich.
Height: 3- 10 ft.
Spread: 2- 10 ft.
Exposure: Part shade/ full shade.
Soil: moist, but well drained, organically rich.
Height: 2- 6 ft.
spread: 2- 6 ft.
Exposure: part shade/ full shade.
Soil: moist and acidic.
Height: 6 inches to 3 ft.
Spread: up to 2 ft.
Exposure: part shade/ full shade.
Soil: moist, should be well drained and organically rich.
Height: 2- 4 ft.
Speed: 1-4 ft.
3) RED EMERALD PHILODENDRON
- The scientific name of Red Emerald philodendron is known as Philodendron erubescens. The Red emerald philodendron is one most popular and common variety of species in the genus philodendron. It is named for its foliage which is hybrid type red leaves.
- This variety type of philodendrons are leaders in purifying the indoor toxins like volatile chemicals, air borne pollutants, allergens and animal feces. NASA approved that the philodendrons are the work horse which filters all kinds of toxins which causes all the adverse reactions, the plant plays a significant role in removing the chemicals like formaldehyde.
- These plants are grown as ornamental plants and also as indoor plants. The best location for the plant to grow is semi shade to semi light, keep the soil moist all the time but not soggy.
- It is classified as the toxic plant, keep out of reach of children and pets.
4) LACY TREE PHILODENDRON
- The scientific name of Lacy tree philodendron is known as Philodendron bipinnatifidum or Philodendron selloum. The lacy tree philodendrons belongs to the family Araceae, it is native to Brazilian rain-forest. This genus philodendron is the second largest member in the Araceae family.
- The Lacy tree philodendrons are easy to grow plant, it is the best plant to list out for beginners who necessarily don’t have green thumb. It is best desirable house plant with striking appearance, the leaves have a naturally glossy and showy properties and no need to take extra care and use chemicals mist for the shiny appearance.
- The Lacy tree philodendron is the best indoor air purifying plant shortlisted by NASA clean air study report, this plant can effectively filter all kinds of toxins from the air. It has the ability to clean all the toxic volatile organic chemicals, off gases and other toxic chemicals like formaldehyde which are usually found in our indoors and produced by our daily supplies.
- It is the best indoor plant and natural air purifier which need minimal to less care and maintenance, the best location to place this plant is part sun and part shade. Watering the plant occasionally is good in winters because it doesn’t take much water.
- It is a toxic plant, please keep away from kids and pets.